A Few Zen Pondering’s From Star Trek Beyond
(Note: This is a sci fi geek alert.)
(Artwork by Monica Gaylor, detail from an abstract collage piece made circa 1990.)
Choice moments from Captains Log:
- “The more time we spend out here, the harder it is to tell where one day ends and the next one begins.”
- “It can be a challenge to feel grounded, when even the gravity is artificial.”
- “As for me, things have started to feel a little episodic. The farther out we go, the more I find myself wondering what it is we are trying to accomplish.”
- “But if the universe is truly endless, then are we not striving for something forever out of reach.” ~ Kirk
“It isn’t uncommon, you know? It’s easy to get lost. In the vastness of space, there’s only yourself, your ship, your crew.” ~ Commodore Paris
“I think you’re underestimating humanity.” ~ Kirk
“This is where it begins, Captain. This is where the frontier pushes back!” ~ Krall
“We will find hope in the impossible.” ~ Spock
“There’s no such thing as the unknown, only things temporarily hidden, temporarily not understood.” ~ Kirk
- Grab pillow.
- Sit or lay.
- Regulate breathing.
- Focus: Pick any one of the quotes for your intense focus.
- Guided: Travel to an undiscovered planet by way of the Starship Enterprise. As you explore the planet, discuss your topic from all angles with different members of the crew (real or made up), etc. OR The ship is travelling through space to an unknown destination. It is the time in between adventures. Time for routine maintenance and important drudgery (boring and episodic). As you go through your daily chores and routines, discuss with various crew member your topic… etc.
“In Loving Memory of Leonard Nemoy. For Anton.” ~ End Credits
Live long and prosper. Monica Gaylor